Thursday, May 5, 2011

More About Me

When I was a little girl l like to make doll clothes for my dolls – a Sweet Sue. When I was 10 years old I was given a Howdy Doody doll with a string you pull to make his mouth open & closes. He became my favorite doll. Several times he had to make a trip to a doll hospital to get his head repainted & his insides cleaned out from all the raisins & crackers he got fed. Over the years his body deteriorated, but I kept his head.

When I became a mother, I began making cloth dolls & doll clothes for my children. Then when my girls were about grown I discovered American Girl dolls. I received their catalogs & would wish for one. About 12 years ago, my 4 girls got together & got an American Girl ‘Today Girl’ for me. She has auburn hair & blue eyes like me. I painted some freckles on her face. This began my serious step into sewing & designing doll clothes.

I sewed for my 4 daughters & some for my sons & my husband, so I knew the tricks & such. I bought most of the patterns available for the 18” dolls, but have had to develop a few patterns on my own. I try to sew the doll clothes the same way the I would sew them for children. But I haven’t mastered tiny button holes yet.

Over the past few years I have acquired more dolls. I made a new body for Howdy Doody with a plastic armature inside, so he is posable. A few of the dolls I have acquired are boy dolls & a bought several American Girl dolls on ebay, that had bad hair cuts & then cut their hair even more, so they look like boys. I now have over 2 dozen dolls. They are from various makers – American Girl, Bitty Twins, Goetz, Engel Puppen, Laura Ashley, Disney & Madame Alexander. They are not all 18”; some are 19”, some are 15” or 16”.

Then I began collecting furniture & little items to make scenes with my dolls. I have a large table in my family room that I use to make my scenes on & to display my dolls. I have been so fun to find the little things & to put together my scenes. This is the reason for this website – to share my scenes with you. I hope you enjoy viewing them & will share them with others. Aren’t will all little children at heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment